The recent discovery of microorganism able to have a redox communication with electrically conductive materilas has generated a new scientifc field under the umbrella of the so-called Microbial Electrochemical Technologies. The aim of IBERIMET is to set-up a work group with all the national active groups in the field. From th very beginning (2003) spanish researchers showed interest in playing an important role in this new-born discipline. After one decade, we are the european country with the largest number of researcher in the field, and now we coordinate H2020 projects MET-based.
The nature of METs is based on three disciplines that rarely coverge at high level in the same research group: microbiology, engineering and electrochemistry. We believe that IBERIMET will be a key tool for facilitating the interaction among groups with two main objectives:
- Accelerate the technological development of METs through enhancing the synergism between the partners
- Achieve larger application scale (full scale) to make METs atractive technologies with interest for the industrial sector.
The activities funded by IBERIMET will aim the following strategy:
- Interaction: Researchers visiting other partners labs.
- Discussion: at least one general meeting per year
- Communication-Dissemination: Web platform (spanish and english) and community managing.